Friday, September 02, 2005

Recovering

One of the negative things about living in close quarters with others in the dormitory is how easily it is to transmit viruses and bacteria. Never in my life have I spent so much time in the company of others.

I've been absolutely miserable the last couple of days. Last night was the worst, I didn't sleep because I couldn't breathe, and my pillow was wet because I would sometimes start sweating. I've had some bead headaches today along with the usual stuffy/runny nose but compared with last night I feel great. I think that night served as a pivotal battle between my immune system and whatever invader has made me sick. My temperature and glucose were spiking rapidly but things seemed to have leveled out again.

Although I still fee like shit. I was supposed to see a doctor today at the campus medical center but I was so exhausted when I got home from Intro to Archaeology I lied down and took an unintentional four hour nap. I was 15 minutes late to the appointment and by the time I arrived the doctor had gone home. I'm still waiting for my car so I had to walk all the way from Smith dormitory to the Med Center. I was so exhausted from traversing the vast parking lot that once I signed in at the Center I had to sit down and rest for a few minutes before I could turn around and head back home, having accomplished absolutely nothing. Although the recreation center parking lot--which lies between my dorm and the med center-- is large I generally don't get tired crossing it; but this illness has sapped all my energy.I suppose it doesn't really matter. Unless you're suffering from a serious illness doctors are never really much help. All they do is make you fill out a bunch of forms, diagnose your illness then send you home to get rest and drink water. Hell, I could have done that myself! As I'm sure you've heard before "there's no cure for the common cold" my response is: Why the fuck not? We can prevent Polio, land men on the Moon and send data to millions over the internet but we can't treat colds? That's bullshit. It's ridiculous how much money doctors make. Unless they are surgeons they really don't deserved it. I'd almost be better off seeing a goddamned witch doctor, at least then I would have someone generally interested in my health instead of some old quack who is just hanging around to soak up prestige from pre-med students and hefty paychecks from insurance companies.

A girl in the elevator suggested that I might have "mono" but I researched Infectious Mononucleosis on WebMD and it turns out it is most usually spread through kissing. So I seriously doubt that's what I have given the fact that it has been nearly impossible for me to hook up with any chicks on campus. All those college movies are a lie. My second thought was that I might have Meningitis, and if I did it would REALLY piss me off seeing as how I supposedly got vaccinated for that a month ago. Perhaps it's just allergies, I don't know. I'll have to reschedule my doctor's appointment to find out for sure. I hope it is, because there are medications for allergies. There are none for colds. So far cough drops haven't worked. Smoothies with "immune Boosters" do nothing. Orange juice? Other than leaving a really bad taste in my mouth after I brush my teeth, nothing! The only thing that has worked is taking really hot showers and that only makes me feel better for a few minutes. I've had three today, now my skins beginning to really dry out and hurt...fuck this. All that I can do now is try the chicken soup thing and hope this shit blows over. To make matters worse I have tons of homework I need to work on over the weekend. Yeah, I'm freakin' miserable.

A couple days ago when I had had returned home to Topeka, I purchased a number of Lysol cleaning products from Wal-Mart so now my dorm room is sterile even if I, however am not.
I really feel for those people in New Orleans, if I'm suffering this much in a clean environment they must be absolutely miserable in the horrible conditions at the Superdome.Good news though, I have returned home for Labor Day weekend, and with my backpack, textbooks and huge load of laundry I also brought the disc containing the blog updates from my first few days on campus....turns out my theory was correct. The data on the disc is still corrupted but I was at least able to open the file when I used the same computer which I originally typed up the word doc on. I just have to revise some parts that for some reason now display odd characters.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. This may be of interest to you; catholic university of america in regards to information on catholic university of america

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate