Monday, January 19, 2004

Rants & Raves from a non-raver: I have a dream!Last night I had a strange dream or a series of dreams that were strangely connected. It began with me telling Meg to call me at her locker, when I left the hall I found myself crouching along a tall circular brick wall. There were arrows flying towards me and knights with swords chraging. There were others with me and they ran forward to try and reach a stair case. Most were skewered and many hit with arrows fell down and were trampled. I escaped and went up the stairs. It was night time now and I was in a garden of some sort. I interviewed a woman who said shew kne Mozart. Then I woke up.

Accoring to the newspaper, researchers not yet developed a coherent theory on the purpose and meaning of dreams. Sigmund Freud suggested that dreams were very symbolic and revealed a person's hidden desires; I doubt it, what would that say about mine? If you're wondering why I only write about my dreams some times it is because these are the ones I remember. Researchers think late-morning dreams are more often remembered because this is when REM (Rapid Eye Movement not the band R.E.M.) sleep periods are the longest and because the brain learns during these times. It has been suggested that dreams are a means of clearing out old junk (in my case it may be scenes I memorized from the movie Timeline) but this theory no longer has much support. While you are awake, one's experiences are stored in a part of the brain called the hippocampus, that is active during REM sleep and replays episodic memories before they are translated into long-term memories stored in an area of the brain's cortex. In ancient times they thought nightmares came from demons, if this is ture I am glad that I purchased that Raptor stun gun on ebay. The dream catcher probably won't hurt either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate