Thursday, November 04, 2004

A Nice Change of Pace

Today our band class went on a field trip to Kansas City to visit the Jazz Museum there, it was pretty cool. I love field trips, I never really got to ride the school bus as a kid because my parents always drove me to school, that's just the way most students at my old school did it. So for me the big yellow utilitarian vehicle is a novelty. It had all sorts of musical artifacts from the early 20th century and interactive stations where you could push buttons. Who doesn't love pushing buttons? There were informative exhibits about Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald etc. I even ran across some of the songs we played in class. The museum focused a lot on how racially segregated KC used and how people living in such areas helped develop jazz from a form of music that was primarily frowned upon, to an art form that was appreciated and became known as America's only cultural contribution (this is kinda dated, I think it's obvious the U.S. has made a ton of cultural contributions). I would say Bebop is my favorite form of Jazz. It almost makes you wonder if someday bands like KoRn will have their own museum. *pause followed by excessive laughter* No, of course they won't. I wanted to get a souvenir from the gift shop but I needed to save my money for lunch. We ate at a restaurant that served oversized barbecue sandwiches. I went with smoked turkey, NO PICKLES, of course. I managed to eat most of mine which mean on the way back I just laid down on the bus seat in pain. Maybe that name analysis was right about the digestional problems. It was more fun riding to the museum than returning. I found a great book to read on the way, it's called The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed reading this much. I still have a lot more to enjoy now that I'm back home too. About 600 pages more. After the field trip I returned to school with only one class left, French 4. We decorated the main hall and foyer with stuff for National Francais Week.

Old Comments
GAAAAAH! BUSH WON! HE ACTUALLY FUCKING WON! What does that say about America? Oh the shame. There are really only two types of Amerians, and I can't believe those OTHER people are actually the majority. Revolting. That's just so terribly wrong. I held my country in such high regard, with such pride. And now.....t-THIS! My flag waving days are over.
lsob | 11.04.04 - 1:35 am | #

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate