Monday, March 07, 2005

Weird Science

Today in AP Chem we did a funtastic lab involving molar concentration and light absorbency. Using a spectrophotometer we were to determine the rate of reaction, rate constant etc. We used Cl2 and a colored liquid for the experiment. After collecting the data, one member of the group was supposed to bring their calculator to the front of the class so the group's data could be downloaded and printed out on a graph. This left me alone and well, there was a long line.....ADD kicked in and I just had to see what would happen if another liquid was used instead. I hacked a loogie into the cuvette and ran it through a red light in the spectrophotometer. The result? 0.8 something. Hmm, not quite as see through as distilled water but not as opaque as I thought it would be. I guess there wasn't much mucus in it. I thought I had gotten away with my little experiment but Jackie caught me. I was afraid she would tell on me but she just stood in the corner with her hands over her mouth giggling.

Note: this post was named after the 1980s movie Weird Science. You should check it out if you have the time. Don't worry, it's much more fascinating than an hour and a half of guys spitting in flasks and test tubes. It's about two buds who create their own girlfriend (maybe concubine is a more appropriate word) using sciencey stuff. It's not very realistic, but it's funny. There also used to be a show on U.S.A. in the 90s by the same name but with different actors. It came on after Duckman.... and I think it was the first show on TV to ever give me a stiffy. Weird Science that is, not Duckman.

"Many people are surprised to hear that we have comedians in Russia, but they are there. They are dead, but they are there." - Yakov Smirnoff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate