Thursday, June 30, 2005

War of the Blockbusters



I finally saw War of the Worlds tonight at 9:15. I say finally making it sound like I've waited my entire life for it when in reality it's only been out for a day. I did anxiously watch the clips and read the reviews online though. Great movie, it was better than I expected but I wished it was longer. For those who are old enough or geeky enough to recall the original (I think it was 1950s) version I should say that there are a lot of similarity. Including the part where the camera probe gets chopped off with an axe and the part where all the aliens die from disease. Spoiler Alert. Oops, I guess I should have said that earlier. Sorry. Anyway, they never tells us what disease the aliens die from but I think it's fun to believe it's AIDS. I don't know why, but I find that to be extremely amusing. The first thing my mother asked me when I returned was "-better than Batman Begins?" The last movie I saw at the theater.

The jury is still out on that one. It's definitely a tough call, but I'm tempted to say Batman was better just because I got the sense that more work or careful thought was put into it. I know, summer movies with any sort of intelligent thought behind them? Call me crazy. WOTW was just a remake though so I'd have to say Batman was better. Both movies high on action content, if you're looking for an adrenaline rush but are too much of a fat lazy couch potato to go out seek your own you won't be let down. These movies are kick ass.

I also rented The Aviator on DVD. This is a movie I have wanted to watch for sometime but frankly when I found out how long it was I became intimated. The movie was great. It really was. If you're like me and you have a lot of time on your hands then you should really enjoy this one. I know I say this every time I watch a movie with Leonardo Dicaprio, but I have a new respect for his acting abilities. Who else could seem so convincing lining the walls with jars of urine? Watch if only to smirk at Katharine Hepburn's voice. Had this been in theaters at the same time as the others I watched it obvious would have rated higher. At the end you admire Howard and feel sorry for him at the same time. It's the way of the future.....No, The WAY of the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate