Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Thus Far

I’m three days into the first week of summer vacation. I only have two this time, so I’m trying to make the most of things. I’m disappointed Kwon couldn’t come to live with me. Despite the fact that I’m not very religious I was enjoying our bible studies together and it would have been nice to have a talented tennis partner. All of my other friends are either too lazy or bad players for me to work with. It also would have been nice to have his math tutelage once Calculus begins in June. Originally I had planned to help him improve his English skills this summer while he assisted me with math but looks like that won’t happen. However, since I did promise to help him with grammar etc I’ve agreed to grade and revise essays he sends to me via e-mail on a weekly basis. It would be nice to do the same thing with math but certain equations and expressions do not translate well into word documents. Or maybe they do but I’m not informed enough to know how to make those symbols. Maybe I could do it with Adobe or some other application.

Last night I rented The Ringer, and The New World. Both movies were better than I expected. I did not have very high hopes for The Ringer but found myself pleasantly surprised. Not so much by the fact that is had a positive message about mentally challenge people instead of just a bunch of retard jokes, but by the fact that the dialogue, story, and characters were actually enjoyable.

The New World was a masterpiece. I was expecting basically a live action version of Disney’s Pocahontas or a bunch of repetitive battle scenes. Watching movie was actually more like reading a textbook, so much in fact that when I saw certain parts I flashed back to myself reading an American history textbook for homework in 5th grade. There were interesting details of the story that I had forgotten over the years. I got the feeling that it was probably too slow for Dad and Uncle Mitch (they both went to bed before it ended) but I liked how it was more like a documentary than a blockbuster. Although I’m no historian I could tell that the creators were not just trying to do a generic Native American and cliché European explorer clash and instead attempted to make things as close to factual as they could. Good movies, I’ll give 7/10 for The Ringer, 8/10 for The New World.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate