Sunday, February 29, 2004

Back From The Dead

Hey everyone, it has been some time since my last post. I've been busy and have had a lot on my mind. I did make some notes over the past few days and will got back later to fill in what has happened and replace the quick jumble of words that I typed a joke. Today I went to church for the first time in years. It was a special day because there are only five Sundays in February every 28 years. In that time I will be about halfway finished with my life, not so comforting. On the plus side though I'll still be younger than my parents are now. When I'm on my own maybe I'll got to church more, once I'm away from my suffocating mother. She poked and shoved me though out the entire sermon. She said that I was leaning over to far, or chewing my gum too loudly, she was constantly taking my song book and following along with her finger as if she thought I didn't know where we were. On the way home she talked my ear off about El Gibson's new Passion movie. Talked about how no one should care even if the Jews were responsible for Jesus' death because none of the ones responsible for that were alive today and like how a family would gladly have a German exchange student over even if one of their relatives had been a Nazi; like how there are plenty of African-American men and wen with Caucasian wives or husbands even though some are undoubtedly the descendants of slave owners. This did make sense to me. I was always uncomfortable with religion though because I don't understand how some people can be so devoted that they believe their faith, although not the most ancient has little more facts to support it than others, is the only true religion. As humans it is our nature to not accept things without question, I wonder if by acting so-called righteous and condemning practitioners of other faiths if they are not trying to convince themselves that the religion is an elaborate hoax meant only to comfort those who know they can never find the truth. In the sermon it was mentioned that when Jesus was wandering the desert with no food Satan asked Jesus why he didn't just turn a rock into bread. Jesus said that a man can't live on bread alone, but a man can't live on faith alone. Don't believe me? Try it and call me in a few weeks. The pastor also talked about how we shouldn't test God, well all we know comes from testing things. If we don't test God we remain ignorant, but maybe that's the point? How convenient Despite all the controversy and terrible wars it has caused over the centuries religion does show some signs of enlightenment. Like the ads you see on TV collecting money for starving children. As long as we don't become too sure of our beliefs so sure that it is the correct one with no empirical evidence and be so sure the thousands of other faiths are wrong. Religion good in general but the problems begin when people began dissecting religions and deciding that one is better than the other. They need to just ignore the differences and respect the traits shared by al theologies. Religion may be all about faith, but faith can be dangerous some times. Always remember to take you faith with a grain of reason.

Bender: Malachi, every time I interfere I only make things worse. You're best off solving your own problems.
Malachi: But, but Metal Lord.
Bender: What part of "nay" doesn't thou understand?
(Or, maybe that's why. LOL)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate