Monday, January 02, 2006

Back to Blogging

I've been really busy the last couple of days. Actually I'm busy most days, but my reason for not posting recently was because of a good reason. No internet access. I was at my grandparents home in Wichita. Mom and I tried to setup an old computer of my grandfathers so that he could use dial-up AOL to access the internet; but for whatever reason the modem wasn't working. None of the drivers seemed to work with it.

I never realized how much time I spent surfing the web until it was gone. I found myself wondering what to do with my time. I decided to read a different medium. I read MIT's Technology Review, Newsweek, Popular Mechanics, and Entertainment Weekly cover to cover. I even got part way into a book titled "A Night in Lisbon" an interesting story set during World War 2. The inside of the book told me that it was due back to Wichita's public library sometime back in the 1970's but I was glad whoever had checked it out hadn't bothered to return it.

So basically I spent my time absorbing any text that was interesting ie not religion or health related (like I give a fuck about studies regarding consumption of fish oil). I read basically from the time the rooster crowed in the morning (yes, there actually was a rooster) to sunset. I also hung out with Grandpa and watched some TV with him. I sent some time with Grandma too when she wasn't saying weird stuff that creeped me out. At times she is convinced that it is the 40's and she still goes to college in Oklahoma or that I am Mom's cousin and not her son. Weird.

We came back to Topeka, and then I returned to Lawrence from there. So yeah, spent a lot of time on the road. In about a week I'll be leaving to visit Arizona for a few days. We'll see Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, and the grand canyon. It's a lot crammed into just four days, especially considering it's not an actual vacation; we're just tagging along with Martin while he attends a conference there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate