Thursday, April 08, 2004

la dernière classe

I arrived at 7:59, I don’t know about you but for us school starts at 8:00am so this is bad. Bad for most anyway but not for me because I took all my books home with me last night which means there was no need for a locker stop and I’m a fast runner, about five minutes prior to class the halls begin to clear so by the time I arrived they were mostly empty. I made it to class without a hitch, except I almost ran into some ROTC guys carrying a folded American flag. I stopped in time though and we passed each other after several attempts (they went left, I went left. I went right, and then they went right). So I got to class on time and we started things off by sing happy birthday in French and having some treats that a student bought. We graded our assignments reviewed some grammar stuff and listened to a language lab. The usual stuff. After that I went to Study Hall and flew though a physics assignment I forgot to do for homework the night before. It was ok, not to difficult. I finished the assignment in time for next hour which was Physics, Mrs. G was gone, probably more surgery so we had a substitute. Mrs. Takashiro or something like that, I think some of the students had trouble understanding her but I didn’t. She was actually one of the more useful sub, helped students and watered Mrs. G’s dying plants. Our other subs were not always so great most of the time they just sat in the chair and gave bathroom passes. She told us that she used to teach Japanese at the school. Joe was in Japanese Freshman year, I wonder if he had her.

During lunch I didn’t have money to go out for my usual fast food meal. So I went to the library, I also didn’t want to run into Meg (I’ll explain the reason later or in earlier post. Depending on how I organize the day I skipped.) I read Wired magazine and enjoyed and article about a nomadish hacker and to my surprise stumbled over something wonderful. They are going to make new episodes of Futurama and the Family Guy! I actually stood up and cheered. The quiet-know-it-all-in-French-girl looked at me and I told her that they were making more shows of my favorite TV series and she said “Family Guy?” Wow, she once told the class she was reading War and Peace. I didn’t think someone like her would even have time to watch TV. Maybe she read the magazine, unlikely though, she’s more of a liberal arts geek than a technophile nerd like me. Every time I go to the library to use the computers or read Pop Sci I see her and she is either looking through ancient periodicals or stuff in the humanities section. By the way her name is Jacqueline so I guess I wont have to call her quiet-know-it-all-in-French-girl in future posts. After finishing the magazine I went to the division one off ice and sat down in one of the chairs. They had a TV in the office and the old woman who works there was watching soap operas. I took out my universal remote control and used the code search function. Switch to Star Trek: DS9. By the time she and her proctor started trying to “fix” the TV the bell ring and I had to leave. Didn’t get to enjoy much of the show but did enjoy that little victory. I guess she’ll never find out whatever happened to Duncan or whatever the soap guy’s name was. I passed Brendan in the halls on to Jazz Band I think, he was talking with Amber. He once told me she was the prettiest coolest girl in school, I said said she was ugly. But now that I think about it she really is cute, looks just like Jessica Simpson a lot shorter though. I think he really likes her but she’ll never go out with him, they’re just friends I could tell by her body language. It looked just like Meg’s always did.

I went to U.S. History and gave Mr. T my extra credit paper on Hue y Long’s assination. He was not a happy camper. I don’t think it was related to my paper though. He put the 1930’s documentary on and then watched the classroom form the window outside the door. I took notes as usual, when I got up to go to the nurse’s office he said no gruffly. When the film was over he came back in and said if we didn’t feel like going to class on Monday we should just skip and save ourselves the embarrassment of getting kicked out. He said something about the class acting immature, and yeah I guess that is true. Of all my classes I’d say this one is the rowdiest. It’s like the only honors class I’m not taking, I wonder if that has something to do with it. My grades right now are pretty good by the way; French 3 is by far my most difficult. Physics and Keyboarding 1 are probably my easiest. I found out at the end of the day that there would be no school on Friday. I knew this already but I had forgotten over the course of the day. So this came as a pleasant surprise. The school newspaper was issued today, I thought it had a lot of interesting and well written articles it mentioned how the high school students were forbade to buy buffets at Pizza Hu.t because they were looting (Damn Freshman, what am I saying we did the same thing?) It mentioned Mr. T in a staff profile and talked about his work in the Vietnam War, teaching experience (which exceeds the length of my life). This makes me feel somewhat guilty for not giving my all in that class though I the majority of that class’s problems are definitely not related to me, still the feeling was there. There was also an article written by personally by the editor, Gustave hat talked about the decline of Intellectualism in the United States. L-O-freakin’-L, that is sad but undeniably amusing and perhaps even undeniably true.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying. Each life makes its own immitation of immortality. " -- Stephen King

How evil are you?
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate