Friday, April 29, 2005

A Series of Decent DVD "Rentals"

I rented Donnie Darko again as well as In Good Company. You see I have rules when I go to my neighborhood movie rental store:
1. Don’t come home with only videos you have seen before (wait AT LEAST 3 months damn)
2. Don't choose a movie just because "you like who's in it"
3. ALWAYS watch the movie the very day you get it and bring it back the next for the 50-cent discount.
4. If there are two versions, get the directors cut.
5. Buy snacks at Wal-mart instead because Blockbuster and Hastings will rip you off, though exceptions can be made in rare candy instances. I.E. Sour Patch Kids or the tubs of popping corn.

The list goes on actually, imagine a guy with pointy shoes unfurling a long yellowed scroll that goes down stairs and outside. I have them memorized because they are very simple, logical rules and somehow everyone else that rents DVDs never seem to follow them. Oh yeah Dad, GET THE DVD not the VHS. What is this the fucking '80? Anyway yeah, Derrick rented The Butterfly Effect and Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle even though we seen them both more than once . . . recently.

So while at the store, I didn't want to come home with just Donnie Darko. Yes it was the directors cut which wasn't available last time but that still doesn't qualify as a new movie for me. I picked up In Good Company to make things right. I initially had no desire to see it because the film was marketed as a being more low brow than it truly was. However after browsing and reading summaries it was the only I hadn't seen that I felt I could stomach.

I was shocked. GREAT MOVIE! It's not moronic or chick-flick-ish at all. Maybe a little but it's pardonable; give it a chance you'll like it. Dad would have liked it too if only for the "office politics" story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate