Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Cautiously Canned

I needed to make up a science lab in AP Chem. Today. Our results were nowhere near the ones the majority of the class produced. So I stayed after school with Jackie and Mr. Anderson and redid the titration lab. Apparently you can determine the concentration of Vitamin C in orange juice when comparing the number of droplets it take to change and acid/base indicator’s color to the number of drops from a solution with a set known concentration of vitamin C. Mildly interesting stuff? I had originally planned to stay only 20 minutes than head to Best Buy for work. After all, the experiment didn't take long to perform. However we had problems printing out some data on from the graphing calculator. Mr. Anderson seemed to really want me to stick around and watch the data transfer and printing process. So I did.

Long story short I was 15 minutes late to work. The company has a policy where you can’t be that late more than once within 90 days so I had to sit through a lame speech about consequences blah blah blah. Anyway I was late about three weeks earlier because I missed my turn on 29th street and got lost. As a result I got fired. They asked me for an explanation but given the severity of the situation, they took me to the chew-out room. I assumed that regardless of my situation they were not going to let me keep my job so I just said it was personal and refused. There was an extra manager on standby, I guess so if I became angry and punched her there would be a witness. It was Mr. Timmy-4-Eyes. The bastard who had previously interviewed me three times but rejected me each time until I said my knew someone who worked there (actually my Mom knew him).

As I drove home I realized, all the things I would miss about my job. The hot girls in tight khakis. The discounts. The hot girls with big boobs. The free doughnuts at the early morning meetings. All the hot girls I worked with. Okay I guess that’s about it. I really hated that job and I’ve been meaning to quit but never quite got around to it. Still, it was a mistake. I should have quit on my own instead of being fired. Then at least when I filled out an application at a better place I could have put Imperfect Purchase down as a reference. It was for the best though; with all of the stuff going on in my life right now I really don’t have time to work. Scheduling would have been hectic. It would have been different every week for at least the next six weeks. With long gaps during which I could not work at all or spaced out in four small chunks throughout various times on the same day. Experience tells me that the managers and scheduling system at the store are not quite flexible for that. In the meantime the discount problem won’t bother me so much. One hour after I got fired I went home and made a long list of everything I could see myself purchasing, or anything that I had intended to buy but hadn’t gotten around to. Then I came back and bought it for less than half of what the public would have been able to. Seriously, I’m set for life. When I left the store with my shopping cart people probably thought I was stocking up for the apocalypse. You see, after firing an employee the managers have to contact the human resources director who works outside the store. The phone line was busy on the managers’ first attempts so they’ll have to wait a few days till they can disable my employee discount number. Clever huh? Well. I deserve it of course. Now if you don’t mind I’m going to enjoy this Red Hot Chili Pepper’s Greatest Hits CD with my new street style noise canceling headphones with airplane adapter while I install my new optical USB laptop mouse and drink my one of 20 twenty-ounce bottles of Mr. Pibb (.70 cents!)

When the time comes, sometime this summer, I will have to find a new job and that search is going to be a bitch. At least this time I’ll be less desperate and have a batter idea of what I’m looking for. All I need is to make friends with someone whom works at a place I’m interested it in. Ya know, do some networking. Unfortunately most of my friends are unemployed . . . . . at least I’ll have plenty of free time to meet new people now! LOL, and thanks to my cautious spending habbits I've saved up almost a thousand dollars to spend this summer. With no bills, that's more tahn enough to live comfortably!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate