Saturday, March 20, 2004

Turtle Power!

While I was watching MacGyver Dad found my old Ninja Turtles lunch box in the kitchen in the back of the a cabinet. We are preparing to move so stuff is getting cleaned up and packed up and there it was. The copyright on the front said "1990" Wow, 14 years have gone by since I last touched this? That seems like an entire lifetime ago, for the most part it is. I have to admit though, I haven’t changed much, I got taller, bigger and hairier (another good thing about spring break, unless I apply for some more jobs no shaving pour moi!). It's kind of scary when you think about it, even more so when you consider there was still a plastic sandwich bag inside, "sandwich" included. Michelangelo was always my favorite, then Leonardo and Raphael and finally Donatello. Yes Ninja Turtles was grand. I have the old movies on VHS, including the one with hockey-stick-dude and the ooze. It's one of the few little kid things you can look back on and say, he that wasn't too bad. Pokemon, awful. Power Rangers, ungodly terrible. Maybe it's just me, but Japanese culture produces some pretty shitty kids shows. Unless Ninja Turtles are Japanese too...Hmmm, I'm not sure, I thought they were American but you really can never tell. I even have the old Nintendo video games for Ninja Turtles. Of course at the time I was only one or three years old so I mostly just chewed on the wires while my brother played (shut up it was a nervous habit, like biting one's fingernails!) I do remember when you came out of the sewer and got into that van you could drive around listening to that song till you got hit by something. Do do do do do do do do do do doo. The second one had characters that actually looked like the turtles instead of green dots and colored squares but I don't think the game play was as good. Those rectangle controllers sucked ass too. 80's console designers obviously knew nothing about comfort and ergonomics. I'm surprised they didn't just make the controller a sharp metal pyramid like on Kung Pow: Enter The Fist. One final note, I also had the action figures that talked when you pulled that strip through the shell. Back in the day those were COOL. It's the only toy I remember loving prior to my Lego obsession. Thoughts?

"When am I going to get my body?!" - Krang

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate