Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I've Been Waiting

Have I ever said how much I suck at romance? Seriously, I have no love life, hardly a life at all actually but that’s always been cool with me actually. Being around people makes me feel tired as if I’ve been working out or something. I had a somewhat painful reminder of how much I suck at communicating my interest with that other notorious gender today.

There is a cute girl who works with me named Alicia, I know she likes me because she is always going out of her way to talk to me even at times I would deem inconvenient. Plus I always catch her gazing amorously at me; if I look back at her she breaks into a contagious grin. I know she doesn’t have a boyfriend because during breaks when all the other girls are chatting about theirs she doesn’t say much (wonder how’d the fat bossy a-hole-coworker-o-mine has boyfriend? Did she drug the poor guy?). Anyway, today I had the chance to speak with Alicia because during some downtime I wanted to buy a Coke. Here is that conversation

Me: Hi
Alicia: Hi! *Waves enthusiastically*
Me: Do you like this song too? (She was singing along before I interrupted; the store always plays music)
Alicia: Yeah, it’s old but it’s great!
Me: I think it came out in 1980-something (the only reason I even got the decade right was because of Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar makes the best games)
Alicia: 1981 I think, but I don’t know much about foreigner. If it were Madonna I’d know.
Me: Could you scan this for me? My register isn’t working.
Alicia: Yeah, the computer won’t let you buy stuff from yourself.
Me: *takes a coke out of the refrigerator and puts it on the counter*
Alicia: *scans it* Do you mind if the store has your phone number? (The computer always asks for your number with all purchases now; probably so that they can bombard you with telemarketing later)
Me: Yes. But you can have it.
Alicia: *smiles then looks a little embarrassed*

I’m not sure how I screwed this up. Maybe I should have asked for her number instead, or maybe she was just being friendly, really friendly. I doubt it though, she acts noticeably different around me than other employees, and maybe she is just shy. It could also be age difference, when she tried to get me to help her with one of the magazine sells I mentioned that I didn’t have a credit card because I was 17. She said that she thought I was 21, which is how old she thought I was. Ironically, I thought she was 17. I told her this and she said she understood because most people guess her age as 13 or 14 (she is really small, petit I guess you could say (she's one of those cheerleaders who gets tossed around so that’s probably a good thing; remember what happened to the fat one on the Dodge Ball trailer?). Oh well at least that coke was good. Cola, in case you were confused. We don’t sell the white powdery kind but if you can’t find it on our shelves you should “check out our website” because sometimes they have more stuff online then in stock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate