Monday, April 04, 2005

Ring of Fire!

I watched the final part of the LOTR trilogy on DVD today; and I suppose it was entertaining enough. It was certainly more so then the first two parts. After school I voted. It was to select members of our city council, most of whom I didn't even know. Had I planned on voting I would have done some research on their backgrounds but I never intended to so I didn't bother to check. Another issue that was heavily focused on was this ban on gay marriage that the citizens of Jesusland were determined to have passed. Normally I wouldn't give a fuck about gay rights, I'm not gay so what do I care. However while I was watching TV I saw this really cheap (both in effort and actual $) ad on TV that used a bunch of positive sounding ten dollar words to make banning gay marriage seem like every responsible, patriotic persons duty. If you hate gays because you think your religion disagrees with homosexuality, and you want to take away their rights just say it. Had they done that I might have voted yes. They could have had a cool campaign like that old milk one. Got prejudice? But I HATE it when republikkkans try to weasel their way into your heart by twisting words around to show them as good guys or saviors of America. Even more upsetting is that the instant some dolts see the word 'protect' they turn off their brains and think "I'm on this guy's side". Even if you could say uncontested that Christianity disapproves of homos then it'd still be a bad idea to make a law because of that. Using logic instead of your interpretation of your religious text is the best way to go on laws; if the majority of the population suddenly embraced a different faith then yours and transitioned all their beliefs into laws you'd be in the minority. And you'd be screwed, not anally or vaginally, just screwed. I don't morally approve of gay marriage; however if I marry a woman and the gay dudes down the street get married, that doesn't void the bond between my wife and I. You have to live and let live. It's called freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate