Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Last Day

Today is my final day of high school. This time, it truly is. Technically seniors did not have to return on Monday but I did because I still need to take my Advanced Placement Chemistry, and French 4 final exams.

I finished my finals then left around lunchtime to go to the bank. Mom had the foresight to prepare graduation announcements, and so as a result I had received several very nice cards in the mail, some with checks inside. I cashed the checks and used them to pay the school’s office the money I owed from the band fundraiser. Along time ago I signed up to sale candy bars etc. to help raise money for a trip to Colorado. I lost the envelope containing the money and by the time it turned up first semester had ended and I was no longer in the class. Nobody ever notified me about the disappearance of this cash and so I figured, no point in letting it go to waste. I used the fundraiser money to fund my frequent lunches at Taco Bueno. A few weeks prior to graduation I received a note stating that if the money didn’t turn up that I would not be issued a diploma. A horrifying though, all that work for nothing? No way! So I scrambled to find the money, a difficult task now that I had been fired. Thankfully, the conGRADulations cards began arriving just in time. My friends and relatives will never know just how much their small contribution has helped me.

Also, I needed to return my combination lock and textbook return form to receive my $20.00 rebate. After standing in line for two hours-this is not an exaggeration- I reached the desk at the front of the auditorium and handed the teacher my form. It was “Kirby”. *Sigh* Of course, the big pink blob didn’t believe I had only two classes remaining the second semester so I had to return to the counselors office after all that to have a copy of my class schedule printed out. Even then, I discovered I still needed a signature for Holland. However, every time I visited our spacious band room he was not there. Thankfully, Mr. T; strangely reasonable teacher that he is, was kind enough to sign my form in place of our never present conductor. I was concerned she still would not accept the signature since T as not my actual band instructor but fortunately when I returned to the desk (this time the long line of students was gone) Kirby was not there. Instead I gave it one of the counselors who accepted my form after a quick glance and awarded me with a beautiful crisp new bill. An excellent way to start off the summer.

I’m tired of high school, and I’m glad it’s over. I’m tired of being treated like I’m in diapers even if I’m not always as mature as I’d like to be. I’m ready to be on my own; I think I have been for some time now. The thing I will miss most about high school is the same thing I will miss most about work. The girls. Really. I mean, I’m sure there will be some hotties in college and probably a few office babes after that but never again will I be surrounded by so much sexiness. . . . . If you thought I’d miss my friends the most you’re wrong. The vast majority of them save just a couple will be attending the same college, as I will. It’s almost like packing up and moving an entire clique with you, a lot of these guys I’ve known since they actually were in diapers. Okay, maybe Pull-Ups. I guess just can’t escape them huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate