Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Now Boarding

Extrapolated from journal - I still need to scan pictures of: the plane at KCI, jet engine and wing with Chicago skyline, and debarking by staircase at Charles De Gaulle

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Travel, air travel in particular is something that has always fascinated me. I'm in love with idea of ending up somewhere that I've never been before. Seeing and experiencing things that are all completely new to me.

Though sometimes, the journey can be just as cool as the destination. My flight from Kansas City, Missouri to Chicago, Illinois is one that I have made many times but every time I fell the plane move faster and faster until it finally lifts into the air I become excited in a way that I rarely am. That little hop off the runway signifies that a new adventure has begun at last; weeks of planning and packing have now reached fruition. I am airborne and on the way.

Until I left O’Hare for Paris every passenger jet that I had flown in was the same, a cramped older, even rustic looking metal tube with seats on either side where you could stare out a scratched little oval porthole if you were lucky enough to get the window seat. Otherwise you will have to sit on the edge of your chair and try to make yourself taller so you can see over the person who was blessed with the window seat. This is what I did. All four flights I got some of the worst seats possible. From KC to The Windy City I was seated between the ass cheeks of the aircraft. I was seated several rows behind my traveling group, I had the window seat (only time) but the giant engine and wing filled most of my view. Still I had my face pressed against the plastic most of the flight. How could you ever get used to seeing clouds float by BENEATH you and around you like big fluffy mountains. I suppose I should ask one my traveling companions who despite it being her first flight stared straight ahead and paid little attention to her surroundings. Or the guy in the row beside mine who just shut his window completely and took a nap. I could never sleep on a plane, I have too much pent up energy, and I'm always uncomfortable. The avion we took to Paris was far more attractive than the one we took to Chicago. I was shocked to see how many rows and aisles of seats it had. That's a 777 for you; each seat even had its own small screen set into the seat in front of yours. You could use the menu to access radio, a map, TV, or movies that you could partake in a limited selection of languages. I navigated my menu in French just for practice. En route to Paris we could choose to see either About A Boy, or Hitch. Returning we could see Coach Carter or The Wedding Date. I watched them all, though I must admit I almost didn’t make it through The Wedding Date. It was a god-awful movie.

Even after watching all the movies I had a few hours left over on both flights. Rather than watching Everybody Loves Raymond or Johnny Bravo on the flights TV screen I decided to read my book. Tough choice, but I used my Borders gift card [a graduation gift] to purchase this book for the trip and I intended to read it. I read best when I am trapped in a confined space with nothing else to do. Mom went to KC and purchased the book for me using my gift card. We don’t have a Borders in T-town so there is no way I could have used it at home.

Once I started reading I forgot all about the TV, I choose Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (say that three times fast). The cover gives you the impression it’s about the survivor of a plane crash. The book involves a plane crash, but it’s really about the life of a guy who is the lone survivor of a Heaven’s Gate like cult with Amish traditions. He tells his life story into the plane's 'black box' before it nosedives into the Australian outback. It’s a great book, very fascinating, very quotable. Just like Fight Club, which was also written by Palahniuk.

When the plane landed I snapped a picture of the nose of our jet and the motorized staircase the brought up to it at De Gaulle. It was the first time I had gotten off a flight that way as opposed to the access tunnel, it was also the first thing I laid eyes on in another country.

While in Paris we were able to get around the city easily using the Metro. There was one incident in which someone got separated but we all rendezvoused later at the Novotel. The Parisian subway is old, but fast. Filled with wonderful vending machines that dispense delicious Orangina for a high price. It is also filled with Fobos (French hobos) who would gladly like that same amount of money themselves. If you’re ever in Paris do them a favor and toss ‘em some coins. Unemployment is high in France.

Our tour group used the Eurostar to get from France to England: a speedy train that goes beneath the English Channel. The train is spacious, far more comfortable than an airplane. It even has a car that serves breakfast. This was the first time I have ridden on a train, it was a very enjoyable experience. Met a nice Indian family on the way. They were “on holiday” too.

London also has a subway called the “Underground” you can find it by looking for the big red circle with the stripe in the middle. It’s newer, cleaner, and less efficient. It takes forever to get anywhere in London via the underground. It’s also more crowded. If you want to get around London and you’re not pressed for pounds you’re better off taking one of those old black taxis or a red double-decker bus. The only minus is you won’t get to see posters advertising for movies that are old in the US of A written in strange ways or languages.

"Mind the gap!" - Underground in London

1 Comments:

Blogger Sojourner said...

Rather than edit the post, I'll just add here that I really love aircraft and used to dream of becoming a pilot. Who knows maybe one day I will, like John Travolta only poorer. Out.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate