Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Dorm Daze

Today Mom, Liz, Elle, and I visited the campus of my future school to tour dorms. Of course, I had already reviewed all the necessary information online and made my selection already. She insisted that I see the dormitories in meat-space before making a selection. I don't know why Liz and Elle were there. We were getting ready to leave and for some reason Liz seemed really excited about the prospect of visiting a college. She told me she was looking foreword to having orgies. I must say this caught me by surprise. Elle came because we could not leave her by alone and expect the house to be waiting for us when we returned home.

I think my mother had a hidden agenda; first of all she drives to Lawrence and KC almost every opportunity she gets to waste gas, time, and money. I like those places to but I'm not going to go there if I don't have a good reason. I'm not going to commute to marginally more metropolitan cities, on a regular basis, simply to soak in their aura. I also think she was hoping I would choose McPherson over Smith because of the cost differences. But once there I was only further convinced I liked Smith better, and she decided that it was the best fit for me too. Mom liked the meal plan because she was afraid that if I was required to do my own shopping I would crack under the pressure of Calculus, Humanities, AND making shopping lists.

In one of the dormitories that we visited a girl's only window was of a stone gray wall so someone had painted a mural of a sunset, forest, and mountains on it. At another several of the floors had warped boards and peeling paint because someone had set off the automatic sprinkler system.

Dad and I returned later that evening to jog the campus. It's very hilly, so it's quite a workout, even if you just walk. He showed me all the halls and we went inside the one where he attended Law school classes. We visited the World War II memorial and we tried to go to the Union but it was closed. It’s strange to think I’ll actually be attending school at the place I always took field trips to when I was a kid in elementary school. Like to visit the planetarium or see museums. This time the field trip will never end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate