Sunday, September 18, 2005

Possible internships

I attended the engineering career fair as instructed by me prof. It was nothing like the career day thing I attended in middle school. I was expecting representatives from the various companies to present everyone with some background about what they do, and the workplace in general. But it was more like being dropped into a surprise interview. I would not have attended if the event hadn't been required.

I believe that the university has this fair every year, so I probably would have waited until at least my junior year, so that I would have more classes under my belt and a better resume. I didn't even bring a resume with me to this fair because I really haven't made plans for my summer yet and at the moment I'm not really searching for a position anywhere. I understand that "the early bird get the worm" but this bird hasn't even decided if he's hungry yet. The summer is so far away that from my perspective it's pretty much inconceivable, and irrelevant. The only thing I can see myself doing with any certainty is taking a more advanced math course over the summer. I'd have to schedule everything else around that.

Despite my initial trepidation about attending this event, in the end I was glad I went. It didn't last that long and most of the employees/representatives present were friendly and answered any questions I might of had when I met them.

I was concerned at first that no one from my class would be present (my plan was to follow around classmates and write down everything they talked about) however shortly after I arrived I ran into three people from my class, including Haley who is part of my team. I had expected everyone would attend later in the evening around 5:00 but I guess they wanted to get it out of the way like me.

God Haley is hot "hott". I mean seriously.....she looks absolutely mouth watering in her usual scraps of cloth (tiny top, even tinier athletic shorts) but she also looked very sexy and sophisticated dressed up. I think we were supposed to wear a tie, slacks, and your typical shiny shoes; but I didn't bring any clothes to campus with me other than casual stuff (I usually don't put myself in situations that would force me into something complicated) Despite being under-dressed all of the people I met with seemed really impressed with me for some reason, I guess I'm just a smooth operator. I felt like I made a good impression on all the business-types I spoke with and for some reason they always seemed astounded that I was a freshman. Maybe I look old....I have noticed three wrinkles on my forehead. One woman was offended when she found out I wasn't a grad student, she didn't say that she was outright but she sort of sneered, after I told her my student status, in a way that indicated she thought I was wasting her time.

On the bright side, I got lots of snacks and pens, and did find out about a really cool job opportunity with a well known company assuming I do decide to get a job this summer. The best part is it offers travel options (GOOD ones).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate