Tuesday, December 23, 2003

(Continued) ASE-Type questions for Auto-Tech3 and left for the second floor so that I could turn in my extra credit paper for Physics. In this assignment we were supposed to write a two-page biography on a physicist whom we selected in class. I chose Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck from the board although at the time I had no idea who he was. I completely forgot about this assignment until the night before and as a result stayed up to 1:30 am to finish it. Despite the way a quickly threw the report together I learned a lot of interesting stuff about the guy; like that he was the one who came up with Planck’s constant (this should have been a given) the thing I used last year in chemistry all the time. Other interesting facts include that when he began studying physics in 1870-something a professor told him that physics was a nearly complete science with little room for further discoveries, I also thought it was cool that his son attempted to assassinate Hitler, however he failed and was executed. After turning in the extra-credit I went to the library and read Newsweek and The New Yorker, I sat next to a talkative bunch of kids playing a game with Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I thought this was unusual for a high-school crowd but didn’t say anything. If a certain friend of mine had been there I could have expected her to call them geeks or something, she likes naming people like how the guy her ex-boyfriend hangs out with is “such a looser” and not just 'cuz she's jealous of the time they spend together or anything. Myself on the other hand, I like to keep a more open mind. Months ago when I had nothing better to do they invited me to play a game called dungeons and dragons with them while the “DM” was gone. I played it once and thought it was lame as fuck. However it was polite of them to ask, and if they enjoy it that certainly doesn’t make them bad people just because I don’t. I suppose my friend isn’t so bad either, when we first met a bunch of us were making typical small talk and I managed to blurt out how I wanted to be cryogenically preserved in liquid nitrogen after my death. The general response I got to that is a blunt “freak” or “weirdo”. She however, just smiled and continued speaking with me. Well that concludes this extra long post, now that I’m finally free on break you’ll likely see more of this length but for now I must go. –LSOB
“Look Lisa, diamond-vision!” – Bart in The Simpsons episode with Jane Goodall

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate