Sunday, May 09, 2004

Mother's Day

Today is Mother’s Day. (Hello, the title!) Liz and Elle are gone, they are with their mother. I stayed here of course with mine. We didn't do much; most of the celebrating had been done the night before with dinner at the steakhouse and the presents. Mom already knew what she was getting, Elle “whispered” it in her ear in front of everyone. I say whispered with quotation marks to indicate my cynicism really what she did was lean close to Mom’s ear and hold her hand up then spoke in a normal voice. It’s a good thing we didn’t do much else today, I spent a good portion of my day maybe 5 hours doing job orientation and watching videos at Best Buy. I arrived ten minutes early but rewind my day a little and you’d think that would have been impossible. My Mom screamed at me non-stop for about an hour as I got ready leave. She kept saying how late I would be getting there, I admit I was moving a little bit slow but there was never any danger of me being late. When I got ready to drive off I couldn’t because her car was parked in the driveway blocking mine. She told me that she would take me. Okay fine, I think I get into her car and wait for her to get in too so we can go. She disappears in the house and doesn’t come out for 15 minutes. This pisses me off because I know what she is doing. She is vacuuming or something, something she could have done while she was following me around the house screaming at me. She followed me around the house screaming at me for moving to slowly, generally when someone does this you would expect by the time you are finally ready they will be there waiting for you, perhaps tapping their foot impatiently. Nope. She goes back inside to finish what she should have done instead of pestering me. I get out of the car walk in and sure enough she is emptying every trash can in the house into one big bag getting ready to take it out. Something that can easily wait until AFTER we get back and time is on our side again. I tell her if she wants to do this then she should at least move her car so I can get out because I have to leave now. She says no she’ll take me and after what feels like millennia of waiting she finally walks out to the car and we drive off. But not so fast. To save time I brought my med with me to take in the car, it’s just as easy to do in the car as it is in the house. Mom has even seen me do this before but when she finds out I’ve left the house without being properly medicated first she turns around and goes back to the house so I can stand in the middle of the kitchen and do it instead of on the way to work. Naturally this results in the two of us screaming at the top of our lungs at each other the “f-word” gets tossed around to the point it becomes cliché. Finally she shuts up and I remind of the numerous occasions I’ve treated myself in a moving vehicle and she reluctantly admits she was wrong (non-verbally of course) and turns around again heading back to work. This happens daily, before I drove my self to school it was my morning headache. She always blamed me for making her late to work. I got up several times, earlier then she did so I would be ready to leave first, then I sat and waited. She emptied the trash re-brushed her hair, changed clothes again, watched the news, and all sorts of other bullshit and then finally we left. At the SAME time we always leave, how hypocritical is that? You yell at me for being late and then I always have to fit for you?! Because she had no one to blame her lateness on these times, the ride to school was joyfully quiet (excluding the run-on blabbering about how everyone at her office was incompetent). It’s so fucking annoying, and don’t ever get Liz and Mom in the car together or they’ll do the same shit back and forth non-stop. Is it so much to ask to just listen to radio or silence? Anyway, orientation went by fine except for a few embarrassing screw ups on some beaurocratic-bull-shit forms; and Mother’s Day came to a weary end for me. By Monday I had forgotten there had even been a Sunday, it just seemed to pass so quickly.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate