Sunday, June 13, 2004

Outage

this is an audio post - click to play


Last night a violent storm knocked out electrical power for most of the city. I was watching TV at the time, and continued to stare anxiously at the dark screen for about an hour after we lost power. Dad and I lit some candles and I got used a flashlight to read magazines (Popular Science, Maxim and TV Guide). I would have preferred to have a book but the garage door also needed electricity and I didn’t feel like lifting it myself. So I couldn’t go buy or check out any books, I read each magazine from cover to cover until I got tired and fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning the power was stiff off, we had put all the food into coolers with ice because the refrigerator wasn’t working. I spent part of the day pacing back and forth impatiently for the power to come back on. On a few occasions I felt as if I might cry, and once I even prayed to god to make the people fix the problem (how pathetic is that?) I spent most of the day washing, vacuuming and waxing my car but I also played guitar for a few hours and went shopping for a Father’s Day gift. Finally, the power came back on around 6:50 PM. My prayers were answered, just in time for the Simpsons! There are only a few shows on TV I actually make a point to see, and by the time electricity was restored I was able to see most of them, the rest of the day I mainly spend channel surfing. Without electricity I was able to accomplish some things that I never would have gotten around to had we not had the storm. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate