Wednesday, January 19, 2005

A Taste of College

Today I attended my very first college class. After AP chemistry a T-High, I drove a few miles to get to campus. That's the one thing I don't like about college so far. The campus, yes it's beautiful, and yes it looks cool, but it's just not as convenient as one big building. Especially when half of the "halls" look the same. The only buildings that do not look identical are: the Union (I'm still not exactly sure what this is because I haven't been inside), the science building (the top of the building has a huge dome with a telescope inside, I looked through it when Mars was close last summer), and the computer building which is really modern looking. There are also fraternities and sororities that look like big, old, ivy covered mansions.

Once I found the hall I needed to be in (it was on the other side of campus...), I entered the room. Unfortunately it was the wrong one. When I wrote down 176 in m planner I didn't make the line extending from the round part of the six long enough so it looked like a "0". So I was in room 170. I quickly realized this was the wrong class when the students got out homework and the professor began talking about math related topics. I rechecked my planner, realized that the 0 was actually a 6 and left. I found the correct room and took a seat, just before the professor called my name. I was surprised to find he was just now calling roll and I was 10 minutes late. I was also surprised (pleasantly) that no one cared that I was late. No one bitched about it, no one tried to send me to detention, no one restricted my bathroom privileges, no one made me wait in the gym. No one even looked up. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever experienced. The class was strange though, because it's a private college it was a little smaller than most of my high school ones. There were all sorts of people in there, I sat between a white guy who looked like he had come from the movie Malibu's Most Wanted and a man who had to be in his 40. he had gray hair and everything. Behind me was a fat woman in her 30s and in front of me a police officer in uniform. This took a little getting used to, from preschool on you always got the impression that you have to be a certain age to learn certain things. You have to be in preschool to learn the alphabet and colors, you have to be in kindergarten to learn to read as well as add and subtract, first grade multiplication, middle school algebra and sex ed, high school chemistry etc. Now, apparently, I had reached the point where you're ready to take in whatever knowledge you were interested or deemed yourself prepared for. I knew this before college, but actually seeing old people learning in the same environment as you is a lot different than just hearing about it.

The professor, Byrd, looked exactly what you'd expect a professor to look like. Kinda short, kinda pudgy, glasses, thick beard, big sweater. I wonder if he planned his prof look. Old too, he even admitted that he had been teaching the course longer than some of us had been alive. He gave a short introduction to the class and then we wrote a long letter to the English staff detailing our expectations and desires for the class. It's not that they were really interested, it was kind of a pretest to see where our skills currently are. Meaning if they don't like the way I write I'll get bumped back to another class or perhaps, skipped ahead. I usually don't write so much by hand, my wrist was sore afterwards. Students who finished early turned in their letter then got up and let. There was no reason to stick around anymore, no one was going to call their parents for skipping class.

After Freshman Composition I returned (to my dismay) to high school for French 4. I was going to go the library to study but Kirby, that horrific gelatinous blob that guards the hall said I could not go without a pass. What a disappointment to go from being on top of the world to down with your face in the dirt. After just one taste of college I already felt high school was so far beneath me. Yep, I've definitely got senioritis.

Me: I think the two if us can take her
Reese: Okay, let's go! Rumor has it that she used to be homecoming queen.
Me: I seriously doubt it. What happened to her?
Resse: She's still here.....

I guess she didn't get it. I wasn't questioning what happened to her. I was wondering what caused her to mutate into a fluffy creature that eats you and absorbs your powers. Aren't homecoming queens generally attractive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate