Sunday, September 25, 2005

Nobody's Perfect

I had lunch with Odessa today. She's going on a date with a guy (whom she hates) in my hometown about 30 miles away.

She says that the reason she said yes was because she has a difficult time telling people no. It's scary to think some girl I may one day date only agreed to go out with me because she didn't want to say no to me....

Their date is going to be really fancy compared to anything I'd ever do. Music majors, go figure. They're going to get dressed up and see an Orchestra. Well, listen to one, but unless you're blind I suppose you can't help but view them as well.

That surprised me, of all the years I've lived there I never even knew we had those sort of performances. It will probably be held in the arts center where my HS was going to have it's post prom party.

I also worked out with Vince at the gym today, or as he refers to it the "gunshow. The strange thing about college is your exposure to people whom you generally would not interact with. In high school was never too clique -ish but at the same time I didn't socialize with people who were totally different then me. Vince is super conservative. When I told him I was mostly a liberal he asked if I got all my news from BET or something? I was shocked by this ignorant comment. I get my news from a variety of news sources. Most of them are online, I read both foxnews.com and CNN.com but mostly news.bbc.co.uk. If you want news that is the most objective you have to read stuff from people that have less of a connection to what's happening where you live. BBC news also just has a better web format and more global stuff. Of course I also watch the Daily Show on a regular basis; but so what? I don't believe in the magic bullet or hypodermic needle theories. The media doesn't program me what to think, every political decision I make is the result of my own beliefs which despite what many believe are often completely separate from my parents, my religion, my friends, and the media sources I enjoy. It might be wrong to say I'm completely free of influence but I'm pretty damn close. I have never ever been one to jump on the bandwagon just because everyone else is. Ever.....I could list examples all the way from preschool to the present. I'm not saying I always play devil's advocate but if an idea doesn't satisfy me after I've scrutinized it I will never just accept it because that's what you're supposed to do.

Despite our political difference Vince and I get along pretty well. He's a pretty cool guy. Perhaps a little bit of a meathead but that's no big deal. No one is without their flaws. I know I have mine. Perhaps being to critical is one of them.

Jake has been surprisingly upbeat today. He hasn't complained about much of anything and he even bought me a case of Jones Soda. No kidding. That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. I take back anything negative I ever said about the guy. Okay, I don't but his flaws, like everyone else' are forgivable.

Except for R Kelly's.
Dude, sorry Ike. I just CAN'T let that one slide!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate