Saturday, May 22, 2004

The Graduate



At 6:00 today I left to go to my Brother’s college graduation in Manhattan with my Mom. You don’t wanna drive anywhere with Mom. Because if you do, you’re stuck in a small place with a woman will NEVER stop nagging. Anyway I endured this and at times was able to appreciate the scenery, and something I’m never conscious during which to see; sunrise. Once there we found seats next to a friend of my Mom. We sat high up but the zoom lens on my camera captured the podium well. They went through the list of graduates which was extremely long. I took Derrick’s picture then we left. I saw Dad there, I half-expected he and my Mom to fight or something but they were both civilized enough not to do that. Later the four of us went to a restaurant, one of the few ones in such a small town. The food was decent. We dropped Derrick back off at his apartment then headed home.

After we got back home I got ready to usher for my school graduation. I changed into the tuxedo that was provided. It fit pretty well, my only complaint is the shoes which were slippery. The high school graduations held in the Expo just like the rehearsal was last time. The arena was large but not as big as the college one Derrick went to. The Expo was located right next to the plaza hotel. Someone put soap in their fountain because bubbles were overflowing from it. Everything went as planned. It wasn’t difficult, and went smoothly. The high school graduation proceeded in much the way the one I had attended earlier today had. The list was shorter but it felt longer because I had to stand the whole time. I saw Selma and she smiled and waved. I mouthed “hi” to her from across the arena. I wanted to go ask her out then but I was busy and she was with her friends. The tall one, Trish I knew relatively well. She was friendly and if it had just been her I wouldn’t have cared; but the short one was really mean and I was convinced she would do something to ruin things for me. The speech one of the former grads gave was decent, so was the one by the class president. I still liked the one’s at Derricks graduation better. Both events were kind of stupid, it would have been easier to just mail everyone their diploma. I saw a guy high up on one of the catwalks reaching to take something out of a case. I was a little nervous because at first I wondered if it could be a gun or something. Then I saw light glinting off the lens and knew it was a camera, though I suppose it could have also been the scope on a sniper rifle. When the ceremony was over I picked up a program and went home.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look
around once in awhile, you could miss it." - ferris bueller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate