Friday, May 14, 2004

Untitled Post # 1

Ever heard that old song Horse With No Name? I don’t know why but it has been stuck in my head all day ever since I read that article in Entertainment Weekly about being the song with the worst lyrics. I do like it, however

… On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound

I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
’cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain
La, la ...

After two days in the desert sun
My skin began to turn red
After three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead

You see I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
’cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain
La, la ...

After nine days I let the horse run free
’cause the desert had turned to sea
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The ocean is a desert with it’s life underground
And a perfect disguise above
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground
But the humans will give no love

You see I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
’cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain
La, la la la, la la la la. La. La la, la la laaaaa

I put off doing my Creative Writing assignment to help Liz collect sample of plants and animals for her biology class. It was a fun little scientific excursion until it began getting really cold and dark. We went over to the governor mansion and pond to search for them. Hopefully this project counts as her final because it turns out she doesn’t know anything about biology, I was constantly having to educate her on stuff, and when I was a freshman I never even took that class (It’s just kiddy science really, I took it during summer school and got in A in it with no problem, the dissection was not so enjoyable though) It’s a shame her grades a re better than mine. It’s not because she knows anything, my stepsister is about one of the dumbest people I know. It’s just because she works really hard. After an assignment has been turned in and she has credit she must just forget everything. Isn’t that what happens when you’re extrinsically motivated?
Last night it poured rain again. Rocky began barking continually, maybe he was afraid of the storm or maybe someone had just forgotten to feed him because as soon I let him out he ran over to hi dishes and ate all his food and water, something he rarely ever does.

What are my feelings on Iraq? Iraq is like my mother; it is always looking for something to bitch about. Never satisfied. I guess that’s a good thing, if you get to comfortable in any situation you stop changing things and things need to change to improve. It does get annoying though, first they complained about Saddam now it’s us they want gone. I have to believe Saddam was much worse though, the whole prison abuse thing sure didn’t help America’s image over there. A shame really, one incident should affect the way you view an entire people though I believe that is what most people do. Whenever I see Middle Eastern people I don’t expect them to be terrorists. I never have and whenever someone mentions something like that even jokingly I’m shocked, a little confused and I’ll admit, slightly amused. I think we should establish a set date when to finish things up. It’s a drain on our money, and it risks the lives of our soldiers. If by the time most Iraqis still want us go I say leave. Most people think the only reason soldiers are there is because Bush wants to be like Dad. It may be, but I like to think it’s because the nation cares about other people’s freedom even if it is not their own. Perhaps this is naïve. Dan told me at the music store that he read an article about the Mexican air force chasing UFOs. This seems really interesting but I haven’t had the chance to read about this yet. I remember thoroughly researching the topic of UFOs for a project in school. I think there are probably aliens somewhere in the universe given its size, and many scientists agree. However, I’m not sure if we’d ever make contact. I’m suspicious about the claims that aliens have already visited us. Remember UFO doesn’t stand for flying alien sauce it stands for unidentified flying object. That could be just about anything. One flying object bound for space is SpaceShipOne a privately owned craft being tested by a company to take paying citizens to space and win the X-Prize. I’m watching this carefully because I’ve always loved airplanes and similar vehicles (the space craft Scaled Composites is using looks really strange but cool). Kansas is going to have it’s own quarter! Coin collecting is another interest of mine, every state will have it’s own quarter depicting a symbol on the back that commemorates each of the 50. You can vote on one of three images for the back of the coin by going to certain website. I chose the one with the Native American shooting the arrow. Today was the seniors last day of high school. I’ll be sad to see a few leave but most I’m glad I will never see again. They’re an annoying group of people that remind me of a bunch of stupid kindergarten girls, this includes the males of the class. I guess they’re just giddy about graduation or college or whatever their future holds, but I’m not; and I wish they shut the hell up about it. We got our yearbooks today; they keep getting skinnier each year I’ve noticed. It’s kind of nice but probably not worth the money I paid for it. I signed a few and a few people signed me then we watched a documentary about a discrimination experiment based on eye color conducted by a teacher in the 1960s. I had already read several books mentioning this experiment and briefly learned about it in Psychology Freshman year so I slipped out and went home early, there was no reason for me to stay if I had completed all my work so I tried a piece of cheesecake (not so great) then left.

"I wish they would only take me as I am." - Vincent Van Gogh, Dear Theo: Autobiography of Vincent Van Gogh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate