Saturday, April 16, 2005

LSOB: At The Movies -Sahara-


Rating: 4/5
It’s been awhile since I’ve had the opportunity to go to the movies but today with a lot of work behind me I decided to celebrate. We (Mom actually agreed to come with me, strange) went to the brand new 14 theaters that opened about a week ago, so everything inside was still clean and not covered with sticky substances. The chairs were like big reclines with cup holders on BOTH sides and the seating was more like that in a stadium as opposed to the gently slopping hill that I’m used to. Also there were no holes in the ceiling, another first for Topekaa. It’s almost worth devastating the woodlands that used to be there, that I used to run through in cross-country. The whole area surrounding the theater now looks like one big scar on the earth, with “For Sale” signs everywhere.

Back to the movie, we saw Sahara, and I must admit I enjoyed it. I did not think that I would, recently adventure films have kind of gone down hill. Sure there are more explosions, and more hot chicks (if you think Penelope Cruz is hot . . .) but I can’t help but feel as if less effort has gone into the writing or maybe the genre was just getting stale. Tomb Raider comes to mind, great actress, so-so movie.

Sahara was a breath of fresh air. Fresh, dry, arid air. In this exciting film Mr. Pointy Head plays an Indiana Jones-ish character and Steve Zahn (the Saving Silverman guy) plays a stereotypically yet strangely bearable wacky side kick. Together this dynamic duo searches for a civil war iron sides ship that somehow made it across the Atlantic to Africa. The ship is supposedly carrying golden coins minted by the confederacy. The story changes a little when they meet a World Heath Organization (WHO?) doctor with a really irritating accent. She is trying to help save people from an unknown illness that is spreading across Africa and determine it’s source.

I hate to pull a third grade book report on you guys but “I don’t want to give away the ending.” It’s probably what you would expect but it’s worth seeing for yourself anyway. It’s a funny movie but doesn’t go overboard by being too goofy like national Treasure did. Out of five asses, this movie kicked four. Go see it. Even just for the cinematography.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate