Saturday, October 01, 2005

Grizzly Guy

Mom and I just saw a movie at the theater that shows independent films. It was called Grizzly Man. And it was about exactly what it sounded like. A man, who has grizzly qualities. At first I was reluctant to see this movie. I thought it was just going to be another dull documentary with your typical intellectual sounding narrator. The only reason I agreed to go is because I heard that the guy shooting the grizzly bears in Alaska got mauled by the animals. I'm not usually entertained by gratuitous violence, but my interest was piqued. Don't get me wrong, I love documentaries, it's just I usually watch them on TV so I can channel surf if they become monotonous.

Grizzly Man was not at all what I expected. First of all they did not show the photographer, Timothy Treadwell, get eaten alive. For that, I am actually thankful because as the movie progressed I started to like the guy more and more and even recognize some of myself in him.

Treadwell was wacky, and entertaining, and he interacted with the animals in a very unorthodox way. I could understand befriending the foxes, but the giant ferocious gizzlies is another story...

The film was made by a German guy named Werner Herzog. I didn't know who made it initially when I went to see it but about halfway through I recognised his voice from a video we had watched in English called Lessons of Darkness (RE: Desert Storm).

I liked Grizzly Man considerably more though, bottom line? Go see it. I highly recommend this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate