Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Day


Today is Christmas, and at about 9:30 in the morning I woke up to go over to Dad’s house. Everyone else was leaving too, though not necessarily to the same place. Derrick would be following me to Dad’s in his car. Liz and Elle were going to their mother’s house; my mother and Marty were going to Marty’s parents’ home in Arkansas. Did you get all of that? Good. So early in the morning when everyone except for the cat was evacuated we left. Derrick followed me for half the way then disappeared and showed up at the house ten minutes after I did. This time when I entered the house Dad was actually out of the bed.

I had stopped by his house yesterday (it was easy to spot our house, it was the only one in Knoll Wood that did not particiate in the lighted bag things; our yard made a huge gap) to see what he was doing and he was just lying in bed starring at the ceiling with a big (and I mean big) bottle of wine on his bed stand. I tired to talk to him but he just whined about how mom cheated him out of somethingor another so I left.

He was watching Judah Ben Hur (I think that’s his name, I don’t know and I seriously don’t give a fuck) on TV. I joined him and watched it, as did Derrick a few minutes later. It was interesting but like all old movies, somewhat dull and slow moving. Everyone exchanged gifts, well by everyone I mean Dad and I. Derrick had to many college classes that needed to be paid for and Uncle Mitchell is in debt. Doesn’t really matter though, I got a $50 gift card to Best Buy and a $100 one to Kohl’s. Ugh, yet another Clothes heavy Christmas. I’ve been saying it 15 years now, I HATE GETTING CLOTHES FOR CHRISTMAS! (or ANY occasion), and no one ever seems to hear. At least I had some money on the Best Buy card, I just wish the amounts were reversed. No I wish it was all 150 for Best Buy, but I guess it’s the thought that counts. . . . .right.

Later everyone watched Dodge Ball, and Tupac Resurrection, and after that Uncle Mitchell and Derrick stayed home and played some Madden game for Play Station. While they were playing that dull game Dad and I went to see Flight of the Phoenix, we accidentally arrived there 45 minutes early (oops, I got the times mixed up) so that means Dad and I were alone in theater watching with nothing to do besides chat, or watch ads like “Immunize your kids!” or my favorite “What actor said this”. So we talked, it was one of the longest conversations I’ve had with dear old Dad in some time. We talked about Derrick, movies, the future, women, Christmas, politics, friends etc. I don’t really remember the specifics of the conversation. I do remember him saying I was” too young to be so angry”. Now, (I finished the draft of this post on the 26th) I can’t even recall what he meant by this. Anyway the movie was great, really great. It’s the kind of movie I’ve been longing to see for some time. I think there may be a new addition to my Top Ten List.

Merry Christmas Marry, and happy birthday Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate