Monday, April 18, 2005

Feel The Force, For $120.

We set up the glowing lightsaber display at Best Buy today, customers and employees alike could not resist wielding it. It was a dream come true. When I was a kid Star Wars was being RE - released in movies for my generation to enjoy (and to prepare for Episodes I-III). My friends and I bought the toys and played with them at recess and at sleep overs. There were action figures, space ships, legos, and of course light sabers. But the lightsaberz I grew up with were just plastic handles with sequentially smaller plastic cones that slid out when you waved it around. I think some might have had a flash light underneath the cones. This newest collectible on display at Best Bui is more like the real thing. Instead of cones it's more like a fluorescent light in a chrome handle. It lights up in segments and makes wooshing and static like sound effects when you wave it around or smack something with it. It doesn't burn or cut things but it's still better than the toys we had. Too bad it costs over a 100 bucks. Even with my discount it's still about $70. Maybe after the movie comes out it will be cheaper. Marketers probably want to give die hard geeks the chance to make it part of their costume on opening day. Just out of curiosity I looked for a Darth Vader costume on the web, I found a pretty decent one for about $94. Who knows, I may just join those nerds camping outside when the movie opens.

Depends on if I go to Prom really, that will be the factor in deciding whether or not I'm willing to go blow some more hard earned cash (I'm still reeling from auto repairs). At the moment it looks like I may be attending prom. I was casually conversing with Tanya about it at work. She mentioned she was going but hadn't found a date yet. I jokingly asked if she wanted to go with me, she said yes. Sixth grade me would have had a heart attack if he knew this. 12th grade me, not so much. Once you get to know Tanya it's easy to realize why a hot sexy girl like her doesn't seem to date anymore. She's a bitch. There isn't a compassionate bone in her entire body. Back in middle school when I was enamored with her I think I asked her out once and she laughed at me, said I was annoying and called me a dork. I find it ironic that now, that I'm no longer interested she seems to be. We exchanged numbers to help plan the occasion, I've decided that if she doesn't call me back I'm not going to bother.

Brent: That thing is awesome, they need to get the red one out too so we can have a battle.
Jared: You mean the Darth Vader edition? They won't do that, this one kid started attacking one of the managers when we gave him one.
Me: Why do they call him Darth Vader. I used to think it was Dark, because he wore black. Then found out it Darth and assumed it was a title like Dr.
Jared: Dr. Vader?
Me: But Vader isn't his last name. It's Skywalker.
Brent: Hey, yeah! I never thought of that...

It wasn't until I was driving home that night that I realized Darth Vader is a title more like Prime Minister than Dr.; hence the Vader part

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate