Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Title In The Blank For The Title

I'm getting sick of all these people complaining video games aren't female-friendly. There are plenty of girls who are gamers. While gender biased marketing probably has a lot to do with the majority of video game players being male I think even if the design strategy of many games were changed to suit both male and female taste I think the industry would only attract a few more female players and loose a significant number of male ones. If they want to make more video games geared towards the dickless community that's cool; but leave some for us guys too!

Personally I like the look of women on games like DOA etc. It's not as if producers reduce Lara Croft's cup size, suddenly less women will want breast implants. With the exception of Mario--a fat guy who isn't particularly attractive unless compared to DK-- most video game characters are going to be in great shape because they are always running fighting villains. Can you imagine if all the characters in Mortal Combat were fat sweaty guys in wifebeaters and boxers instead of buff ripped-ass fighters? What the hell would there attacks be? Taco-Bell-Fart-Fatality? Video game characters are supposed to be fantasy. That's why Rinoa from FFVIII is a sexy chick who does not represent girls IRL (fat asses who just watch Laguna Beach all day) can you picture Rinoa with a spare tire and a bag of Cheetos under her arm? I think Resident Evil's Jill Valentine was pretty realistic. She wasn't insanely buxom but she was still hot. She looked like a lot of women who are actually in the military. It's not a crime to be attractive.

I'm sure even girls would like to play as an attractive character than an ugly one or a plain Jane. I have proof of this too. I used to play The Sims Online (one of the more popular games among the opposite sex) in this incredibly dull and monotonous game you begin by selecting physical attributes for your sim (the charter you play as) upon entering the game I noticed that most of the sims looked alike with perhaps a few differences in color of clothes. Why had so many players picked this face, body, and hair type? Simple. It was the most attractive combination and thereby the most popular. So don't try to downplay the sexiness of female video game characters. Guys, the largest audience likes them. Girls like them. The ones that actually are offended by them are in the minority. Talk about reducing the violence in games pisses me off too. In The Sims Online I remember being annoyed by fellow players on many occasion and thinking to myself “I wish guns were one of the items I could buy so I could just shoot this fucker” I haven’t played that game in about a year; once I sell it on E-bay I’ll use that money from the sell to help buy a kick ass game like The Matrix Online or Star Wars Galaxies (not Everquest though). Admit it, the main reason you liked to play the original Sims was so that you could lock them in an enclosed space and starve them to death in a corner. I had a whole lot full of graves which made building a house a little difficult. Building is fun too but only if you have the money available to do that. Making money with that game requires sims that haven’t been drowned or starved to death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

© 2005 Sojourner Nate